Monday, May 21, 2007

I love my Grandma


Yeah, that's an odd post title for me isn't it???


It comes because Grandma is lying in a hospital in Pittsburgh, she's got some bleeding in her stomach and they thought they had it under control but today, maybe not so much. She's been around a long time, she celebrated her 94th birthday in February.

Her and my Pap were married 75 years, 75 fucking years, how often does that happen? That date took place in October of 1994. We lost Pap the following August, he was 96 when he went. He'd been ready to go for about 6 years, he was just too tough to die.



Now Grandma's been to the hospital before, ususally for fluid buildups in her chest. Everytime I get the call that she's in the hospital I'd always say it's not her time and not worry about it. For some reason I don't have that attitude this time. This time I'm concerned. I love that woman. I loved Pap too.

They have a farm in SW Pennsylvania, I spent most of my youthful summers there. Hanging with the cousins, working the farm, helping out Uncles on their farms. Long damned way from the Caribbean, but it is one of the places I hold most dear. Over their later years the farm declined. Pap had a sawmill, that's how he supported his family; it's gone now too. When Grandma goes, it's all over. I hate to see it happen, really hate to see it happen.

I just hope that me thinking this may be the end is because I've had such a shitty couple of weeks and everything's gonna be okay. It's just my juju sense is tingling, and it's not positive.

When Pap died in August of '04 there were 102, count 'em, 102, direct descendents. That doesn't count spouses, step children, etc. Big damn family eh?

Grandma, I know you're not reading this, but you need to know that you mean the world to me. I've told you a thousand times how much you and Pap and that farm means to me and I had to tell you again.

How bout throwing some good wishes Grandma's way. I know when she gets better she'd love to make y'all some bread and jelly and can you some veggies. She's just sweet that way.

I love my Grandma.

9 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

I'm not only throwing alot of good wishes for your Grandma, but doing a plane drop of the things over the hospital and then flying by yours too. She looks like a lovely lady!

Juju senses tingling is never good, I have some ointment for that.

Seriously...thinking good thoughts and saying a word to the Big Man too. x

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 75 years!! I can't even fathom that.

Sending all my good vibes Grandma's way!

3:02 PM  
Blogger L said...

I will be saying a prayer for your grandma tonight.
Lots of hugs my friend.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Sending a ton of wishes her way. I can't believe that 75 years Wow!!

6:14 AM  
Blogger ATLLG said...

there is a reason some folks call them GRANDS...cause that is what they are... thoughts and prayers..

1:28 PM  
Blogger April said...

Lots of good wishes for your Grandma, sugar. Keep us updated on how she's doing.

9:57 AM  
Blogger MG said...

you're the best... really.
this is such a great post.

hope all is going well...
~thinking of you~ :)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Good Morning Billy,

Positive waves to your Grandmother.

11:47 AM  
Blogger tm said...

Awww Billy. This is a beautiful tribute to your grandma. I send good wishes and prayers for her. And I send hugs to you. Grandma will live forever in your memories. What a wonderful gift she has given you.
Thinking of your family.
xo
TME

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home