Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sucker for a woman crying...

This afternoon while I was buying shrimp from a roadside vendor a woman walked past, carrying a large duffle, with tears rolling down her cheeks. Yeah, I wondered what was wrong but I continued buying my shrimp and she continued walking.

When I finished my transaction, 3 pounds for $12, I climed back in my truck and headed towards home. I need to say that I was in a very rural part of the area, not much around for miles as far as conveniences; this is the part of Florida that grows oranges and strawberries, raises cattle and mines for phosphates. Anywho, I head west for home and there she is, still struggling with the duffle and crying, so I pull the truck over. No, I don't normally pick up strangers although I'll stop for people with obvious car trouble cause I spent a lot of time on the side of the road in my earlier days.

Her name was Samantha, 3 days out of Texas, freshly divorced and staying with her mom in Tampa. She went home with her cousin for the night last night and was left with the cousins friend this morning when said cousin went to work. This "friend" took her today to look at Florida's cow county cause Samantha used to work on ranch in Texas and apparently he ditched her there. Seemed to be a put out or get out situation and Sam opted to get out - and walk. Now this woman was 35 miles from Moms house, that was some fortitude for someone who didn't know the area. Needless to say I'm a sucker for tears and to see her carrying that big ass bag, well I couldn't leave her there.

She climbed in and immediately knew the obscure band on my stereo; anyone who knows Cross Canadian Ragweed can ride with me anytime. Soon the tears stopped and she proceeded to say "thank you sir" for the next 5 miles when I told her my name and to quit calling me sir. I got the Readers Digest version of her recent history including the being ditched it the country part. All she had was a bigass tupperware bowl full of change and her bag of clothes, what a way to travel.

I was gonna leave her at the CVS on the corner by my UPS store but we had such a nice conversation I decided togo another 4 miles to the Cash & Carry where she could turn her change into dollars; she was the most polite and well spoken hitchhiker I have ever met, the girl had herself some manners. Between CVS and Cash & Carry I had decided that I would take her al the way to her mom's house and had told her so before she went in the store. This girl left her purse and her duffle in my truck while she went to convert her change, I guess a real pirate would have taken off with the booty at that point but I waited.

She came out proud to have $24 in folding money and tried to give me $4 for gas. I told her that it wouldn't do my karma any good if I took her money and said for her to keep it. She insisted but so did I. Now during our ride we were talking about her being a cowgirl; roping and riding and the like, so I gave her my business card with my cell number and told her this.

If she wanted to pay me back, what she could do was when she got her shit together, call me and she could teach me to handle a lasso. I suppose I could be a cowboy just as easy as a pirate right? Well this thrilled her to no end - well I'm sure could do that she said I can teach you to handle a rope like a pro. It's easy to spin the loop but hitting a target could take some time though, but I could teach you easy enough. I told her that was good for me. Another 5 miles we were at her Mom's house and she got out. She got her bag from the back and came back to the cab, leaned in and gave me a hug, thanking me over and over again.

Now I kinda doubt I'll ever hear from Sam again but I'll hope that she does get settled and calls me to teach me to rope. That'll to come in handy the next time one of those cute little mermaids swims up next to my ship.

Oh yeah and here's dinner.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Billy you're the most soft hearted pirate I know!

That was a really cool thing to do. With all of the whack jobs out there today--she was lucky that you ran across her.

By the way, I know Cross Canadian Ragweed. ;-)

8:45 PM  
Blogger DH said...

Roadside shrimp??? All we have up here is roadside pecans and the occasional corn on the cob.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Desireous said...

You are such a sweet guy!!! That was so kind of you and I'm sure you helped restore that girls faith in mankind. After a bad thing like that happnes she most def needed that! You are a sweetheart!

Hugs
Des

2:34 AM  
Blogger MG said...

What a man.... ;)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

Well aren't you sweet! You know, there just aren't enough like you out there anymore. Not nearly enough. :-)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

KB - you know Ragweed? effin cool, not many do...

DH - We have shrimp docks here and the fresh catch is available most everywhere about now - in a month all the street vendor will be shilling strawberries.

Des, MG, SS - thanks

TJ - but I wanna be a pirate, i wanna, I wanna!

I try not to be so nice, it just doesn't always work out well. ask my kids, I'll bet they have a diff. opinion.

11:07 AM  
Blogger CP said...

*swoons*

You are straight out of a rural romance novel.

Thank you for taking such good care of the women of the world.

Really.

CP.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Ritalin+effects chinese antivirus software adderall how long in system Bmw or audi Phytophanere dietary supplements for hair and nails Mitsubishi outlander trailer hitch best antivirus software 2006 heating cooling anti free online program virus Squash sport Missouri all sports show agi antivirus digital plotters and blueprint http://www.inkjet-printer-review.info/Meguiars-clear-coat-liquid-car-wax-gold-class.html free virus scan and free virus removals Pharmacy xenical weight loss

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home