Wednesday, February 08, 2006

SNAFU / FUBAR

Well, it was a Tuesday from hell and I'm glad it's over. I didn't even post any boobies, WTF?

There's a line from a movie which I cannot remember the title of or even what it was about; probably from sometime in the 80's. It had a line in it that I don't remember exactly but is one of my all time favorites - of anybody remembers this or where it came from please let me know.

I am sick and tired of coming up with desperate last minute solutions to impossible problems caused by other people!" or something to that effect...

I hired a competent (?) local firm to do the installation of my product for a local job, they've done this work for years and even called me to ask about them doing this work. Yesterday the product arrived at the jobsite and the unload was a bit difficult to say the least. I got 5 phone calls before 11 am that this was impossible, they didn't include unloading in their price and as a matter of fact they never include unloading. OK, why didn't someone tell me this weeks ago when we negotiated the job?

Turms out the unload was difficult, the crates are 4-5,000 pounds and the lift on the jobsite couldn't handle it. They were dumbfounded, competent (?) professionals who just effin gave up and laid the shit in my hands, yeah, that makes the pirate happy... What the hell am I paying you guys for? If I wanted to do it myself I wouldn't have hired you!

Why can't people be creative? Why can't they think "outside the box", why can't anybody else come up with a damend solution? Why, why, why? If at first you don't succeed call Billy, he'll fix it, he can fix anything - one of life's simple truths. The pirate dropped everything and hustled his ass to the jobsite and within 45 minutes what couldn't be accomplished in 4 and 1/2 hours was done - damn I'm good!

This was an outside the box solution, okay, the forklift can't handle it. What other equipment is onsite? A big ass track hoe with a 15,000 lb capacity, hey, that just might work, anybody got some chain? I'll be damned, there's some chain, and now if we just hook this to that and move this over here, well, fuck, the stuff's off the truck. Now even I have never used earth moving equipment to unload a semi before but if it works, hey why not? See, it works!




6 Comments:

Blogger April said...

wtf?

I hate people that can't do anything without someone standing over them, showing them how.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Mr Fabulous wins the prize, soon as I figure out what it is I'll ship it to Gator country.

Thanks.

Yes April I hate it too, there are just so many of them out there...

7:55 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Yes. Micromanaging morons.

It's my own personal pet peeve.

CP.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I just had this very conversation with our CEO today.

There are always those people who don't want to pull their weight.

Assholes.

My CEO said, "welcome to the real world." Nice, huh?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Ms. M said...

It's sad but very few people are held accountable these days for their performance, or lack of. But, in a fabulous twist of fate, these fuckers rarely succeed, or exceed anyones expectations of them.

That's why you are so successful Billy, you think out of the box and exceed/succeed where others fail miserably!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Damn Mr. Fab, you had to say those 3 little words - "we at corporate", you seemed like a really cool guy. lol

cp - i'm with ya

kb - the truth sometimes stings doesn't it. you gotta wonder what's gonna become of this world.

Ms. M - why thank you.

I used to say it's hard to find help, now it's hard to find bad help; it's postively next to impossible to find good help - that's gonna be my argument to push for human cloning. It could very well be the only way to have qualified, intelligent, think for themselves employees - create them in the lab.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home