Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Pirate suffers smoke inhalation in sweet tea incident


Dammit I did it again and this time it cost me.

I drink sweet tea by the gallon and brew it at least once if not twice a day. I have a pot that is used strictly for boiling the water for my tea, I am a particular pirate. I have a bad habit of putting the water on the boil and going back into my office; usually letting the water boil away to about nothing before remembering and filling it to start over again.

This afternoon I'm sitting here, diligently working away and think I smell smoke but think nah, it's nothing. Then I smell it again and sniff at the laptop cause it gets warm sometimes but nothing. Then it hits me, I'm boiling water! OH SHIT! I rush back to the kitchen to find not only the water is gone but the teflon has cooked off the bottom of my pot. Way to go eh? There's a haze hanging about the house now, I've opened the windows hoping to clear it out before the kids get home.

Worst part is I ruined my tea pot. fuck fuck fuck. I need one of those tea maker thingys. now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I was going to tell you that I have a pot especially for tea too. And that I also start it boiling & walk away only to return to little or no water in the pan, but I'm not talking to you so I won't. :-p

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry bout the tea pot!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.. sweet tea. you can't get any good sweet tea here. :-(
care to share your recipe? ;-)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

kb - fine! don't tell me that then. promise me i won't have to paint and maybe i'll come see you.

bella - it's really easy. Boil a pot of water (learn from kb & me here, don't just leave it on the stove and walk away) when it hits boiling, pull it off the burner and drop in 4 family size Lipton tea bags, you gotta let that sit about 5 - 10 minutes.

Now I keep mine in gallon glass jug so while the tea steeps I pour about a cup and a quarter of sugar into my jug and then pour in the contents of the pot. Fill the rest of the jug up with water and stir.

Voila, sweet tea.

7:53 PM  
Blogger CP said...

*L* I can hear Reginald Roundtree reporting as we speak!


Silly pirate.

CP.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

Do you know how many pots I've welded to the burners on my stove whilst making tea? *sigh* Yeah, that's me. Whaddya do?

4:24 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

me thinks tj was unloved as a child...

10:04 AM  
Blogger April said...

oh, yeah...i've done this, too. But not making tea for myself...making tea for others, 'cause i'm nice like that! (And, yes, i'm a southern girl that doesn't like sweet tea...so shoot me.)

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it might be that the bed is a better place for you than the kitchen....

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home