Friday, February 02, 2007

FuckedUp! Friday

Hey folks, gonna take a departure from the typical FuckYou! Friday and share with y'all a fucked up Friday.

Been a tough week for the Pirate and his crew. Started on Monday with an event that would make Mr. Fabulous proud, one of my guys put a drill bit through a 1 1/2" hot water pipe and flooded the Yankee's locker room at Legends Field, their spring training facility. No major deal, cut open the wall had the pipe patched and put the wall back. Luckily the Yankees are the forgiving type...

Continued from there with another couple of unfortunate events, culmanating last night with the same man plowing his Durango into a major power pole. Spent last night at the hospital with him til about 1 am, think he has a broken foot and a few other problems, but should come out of it okay. Problem is that he probably won't be able to work for a while.

This guy has been with me since the beginning almost a year ago and has worked his ass off. He is a single father with two boys, ages 1 and 2. The mother just up and left for Cali not quite a year ago with another man and has put my guy through hell ever since. She abandons the boys and him and then she and her family are constantly filing "anonymous" abuse complaints with the Department of Children and Families. Ya think they could just leave him well enough alone.

This man is up every morning and gets the kids to daycare, works all day, grabs them and takes them home, cares for them when they're sick, doctors appt's and all, all by himself. I know a lot of you are single parents so you can agree that this is tough. He is seriously trying to elevate himself from where he came. His family is basically non-existant, I don't know where his mom is, his dad is an alchoholic and lives with him. For the most part, one of my other guys and I are the closest thing to family he has and pretty much all the support he has.

So, now, I sit here, tired, beat to death and confused, wondering what to do. Currently we are at a very low point for cash flow, gonna be real hard to carry him on payroll while he can't work. And I also need to find someone to do the work he can't do. I absolutely cannot bail on him, that would be the easy thing but hell, when do I take the easy route. Yeah, the pirate has a heart, some of you already know that.

The Mrs and I can help with the kids, but the cash well is dry right now; besides he's already into me for a couple grand between the divorce attorney and a few prior problems. Now he's out a vehicle, insurance will probably pay it off but it's not gonna get him a new truck..

Well, during the writing of this the boy hobbled in here. Seems to be in decent shape, says he's not on any pain pills - at the moment. Maybe he's not all that bad off physically. We went over and saw his truck at the tow shop, it's definitely totalled. Too bad, was a nice truck. He's off to cash his check and look into some more transportation. Still has some issues to deal with, I still have some issues to deal with as well. As always, I suppose we'll work it out. I simply can't wait to put an end to this fucking week.

The saving grace of the day is tonight I have some damned good seats for Spamalot, a Monty Python musical at the performing arts center. A bright spot in my day, gonna do another hour here and call it.

Hope everybody has a great weekend, we'll be back on Monday with a fresh attitude and hopefully some new ideas to never have a week like this again.

6 Comments:

Blogger MG said...

sry to hear, really...
that's truly fucked up.

and yeah, you ARE a good guy (damn it, right?)
no, its why I love you so much ;)

Have a good weekend...

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Boss you are truly too cool for skewl. ( that means you are a great guy!!) I dont have any helpful answers about what to do with the guy, but I just hope everything comes out ok.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

Aw, poor guy.

Sir Pirate, you are an AWESOME boss.

1:37 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Awwwwwwwww. The Pirate has a heart! I knew it! I just knew it!

Heh. Sucker! Now we all know!

You're a good guy, babe.

CP.


Oh yeah. Go Mets!

4:03 PM  
Blogger ATLLG said...

Ouch! That's some kinda F'd up events. Props to the boss man!
Make me think of the movie
Pay It Forward....if only.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a really good guy Billy.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home